Often times considered a silent disease, osteoporosis is manageable, and with the right combination of
minerals, collagen, and calcium salts, it's possible to lead a healthier, fracture-free life.
All throughout a person’s life, bone tissue is in a constant stage of change and remodeling. As new honeycomb-like structures come together, new bone is formed. But like other areas of the body, bone develops in stages, and as a natural part of the aging process, bone renewal tends to slow down. Due to continuous thinning, individuals with osteoporosis experience holes and spaces, which gives way to a loss of density, accidental fractures, and abnormal bone structure. No matter the amount of bone loss, The Salerno Center will create a comprehensive Osteoporosis treatment program designed around your individual needs.
Although not as common in men, osteoporosis still affects roughly 9 million Americans nationwide. Even though it develops slowly, osteoporosis can take several years for any noticeable manifestations.
Symptoms of Osteoporosis
- Back Pain
- Broken Bones
- Joint pains
- Loss of Height
- Fractures (wrist, hip, spine)
- Muscle Pain
- Loss of mobility
- Dowager’s Hump
- Poor Posture
Osteoporosis Root Causes
- Hormone imbalance (estrogen exposure)
- Medical conditions (Rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid issues)
- Chronic amenorrhea
- Cardiovascular disease
- Body size
- Thyroid hormone
- Vitamin deficiency
- Malabsorption (celiac disease, Crohn’s disease)
- Family history
- Low testosterone
- Inactive lifestyle
- Poor diet
- Medications (corticosteroids, anticonvulsants)
Osteoporosis Treatment - Diet & Lifestyle Changes
- Eat organic, unrefined, low sugar foods. Normalizing insulin levels is an important step in maintaining adequate bone health.
- Get lots of rest and establish healthy sleeping patterns.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and other illegal drug use.
- If you are not getting enough vitamin D and have not been tested, make sure your levels are optimized. Consider natural sunlight, oral vitamin D supplements, or safe tanning bed solutions. Without adequate amounts of vitamin D, the body cannot absorb the proper amount of calcium it needs.
- To get the right fatty acid balance, make sure you are getting enough healthy fats in your diet, such as organic, grass-fed meats, cheeses, fish, and butter. Avoid highly oxidized oils such as trans-fats, soy, canola, and corn oils, which lead to a build-up of inflammation, cellular disruption, and unwanted cardiac complications.
- Get more fat-soluble K2. Because it has the unique ability to remove calcium from the lining of the artery’s and place it back into healthy bone, vitamin K2 stands as a powerful oral bone builder. And since it plays a role in clotting, check with your doctor before supplementing.
- Because the skeletal system responds well to exercise, it is important to incorporate some kind of weight-bearing activity, which improves energy, muscle mass and stimulates osteoblasts to produce new bone.