Painting your face is fun, but using chemical-laden face paint can cause some serious adverse effects to occur, especially on children. Unfortunately, with Halloween around the corner, the desire to transform into another character is hard to resist, as many costumes utilize face paint to tie the look together. While others paint their face simply to get into the Halloween spirit since it has become a tradition. However, most face paint sold in stores is not the best for your skin or your health. In fact, according to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, 6 out of the 10 face paints examined tested positive for heavy metals, and 10 out of the 10 face paints they investigated tested positive for lead. Luckily, there is a simple, easy to follow natural face paint recipe out there that can help transform you into the character you desire, without negatively affecting your skin and health.
Next time you are shopping for face paint, take a look at the ingredients. If you don’t know what the ingredients are, look them up. You may be shocked to learn what is really contained inside that tube of paint. Instead, save your skin by trying out this simple natural face paint recipe.
DIY Face Paint Recipe
• 1 ½ tsp of cornstarch or arrowroot powder
• ½ tsp of white kaolin clay powder
• 2 tsp of honey
• ½ tsp of water
• Natural due or natural food coloring (to add color)
• Non-nano zinc oxide + lotion (for making white face paint)
• Activated charcoal (for making black face paint)
1. In a small mixing bowl, mix together the arrowroot or cornstarch and the white kaolin clay powder.
2. While mixing, add in the honey and water. Mix together well.
3. Divide up the mixture among several cups so you can create different colors.
4. Add the charcoal and natural food coloring (dye) to each cup until you come up with your desired color for each. Mix together well.
5. If you want a white base, mix together the non-toxic lotion and non-nano zinc oxide. Having a white base can help the other colors “pop” more on your skin.
Sign-up for our free bi-monthly newsletter to receive the latest medical news, treatments & recipes to help keep your health on the right track.