Face paint is a great way to transform yourself into something else and can be enjoyed at any time throughout the year, for young and old alike. However, with Halloween around the bend, the need and desire for face paint increases. You may want to just paint your face to get into the Halloween spirit or may need to paint your face to get into character for your costume. In either regard, using the face paint, you see sold in stores may not be the best for your skin or your health. According to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, 10 out of the 10 face paints they investigated tested positive for lead. While 6 out of the 10 face paints they examined, tested positive for other toxic heavy metals, and who wants to put that on their face or their child’s face?
Some say, if you can’t eat it, you shouldn’t put it on your skin. So if you are looking for an alternative to the chemical-laden face paint you mostly see in stores, learn how to make your own with this easy to follow natural face paint recipe.
DIY Natural Face Paint Recipe
• ½ tsp of kaolin white clay powder
• 1 ½ tsp of arrowroot powder or cornstarch (just make sure it’s non-GMO!)
• ½ tsp of water
• 2 tsp of honey
• Natural food coloring or natural dye
• Activated Charcoal (if you want black face paint)
• Non-nano zinc oxide (if you want white face paint) + non-toxic lotion
1. Mix the kaolin white clay powder and the cornstarch/arrowroot powder together in a small bowl.
2. Add in the water and honey, mix well.
3. Divide up the mixture between several cups. Add the natural coloring or dye to each cup until it reaches the desired color. Mix well.
4. If you want to create a white base makeup, mix a little non-nano zinc oxide with a non-toxic lotion. Certain colors will show up better if you have a white base.
5. Paint on your design and let sit for 15-20 minutes. If layering, let the paint dry first before adding more.