Many of us are aware of the powerful spice turmeric, a prized condiment that can be found in your kitchen cabinet. A flavorful spice, turmeric has many health benefits when used with food, but turmeric’s benefits go past ingestion. Not just for cooking, turmeric is also used in alternative skin care products, ones that you can buy and has become a common ingredient in many DIY face mask recipes. A beneficial and natural beauty ingredient, turmeric also has many benefits when applied to the skin. When used in a facial mask, turmeric can help reduce skin irritation and inflammation. Due to the anti-inflammatory potential, turmeric may also be helpful in the treatment of inflammatory acne, and may even help reduce the appearance of acne scars. Also, another added benefit is turmeric is rich in antioxidants, which when used in skin care can help prevent wrinkles, scars, hyperpigmentation, and other skin issues.
If you have been looking for an excellent DIY turmeric face mask recipe, try this one on for size. Pamper yourself and get glowing skin with this secret “golden” beauty weapon.
DIY Turmeric Face Mask Recipe
• 1 ½ tsp turmeric
• One tsp full-fat yogurt or milk
• One tsp raw honey
• One tsp coconut oil
• One drop of fresh lemon juice or lemon essential oil
1. Turmeric can stain, so make sure you are wearing an old shirt just in case the face mask drips. Also, if you don’t want your fingers to get stained during the application, be sure to wear gloves or use a clean makeup brush.
2. Take all of the ingredients and mix them well together. If you haven’t already, do a patch test first to make sure you don’t have a reaction before applying the face mask.
3. Layer the mixture evenly over your face (just make sure it’s clean!), and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Just watch out for your eyes!
4. Wash off with warm water or use a cleansing oil and scrub gently. If your face still has a slight tint from the turmeric, apply some avocado or olive oil, and wipe away the excess.
5. If you have any of your facial mask leftover, you can cover it and store it in the refrigerator. For best results, apply twice a week.