It’s August, so that means that summer is in full swing and it’s been a hot one this year. When it’s hot and sticky out, there’s nothing better than cooling off with some delicious ice cream. Ice cream is a favorite summer treat for many people, but often times its ingredients can make us feel sick. When it comes to ice cream, if you want to avoid feeling sick (and guilty), the fewer ingredients it contains, the better. You usually find healthier alternatives in high-quality ice cream, but the price tag! “Healthy” ice cream is indeed expensive! Luckily, making your own at home is a much cheaper way to enjoy ice cream that is better for your health and your wallet.
While you can look for healthier varieties of ice cream, the best way to know what’s really going into your ice cream is to make it yourself. Many people believe that there’s nothing better than the taste of homemade ice cream, and it’s easier than you think to make! Plus, you can make your own ice cream that doesn’t contain dairy or artificial sweeteners. So if you are looking to try a delicious superfood ice cream recipe, check out this healthier alternative.
Banana-Chocolate “Superfood” Ice Cream Recipe
• 3 frozen, ripe bananas (chopped and then frozen)
• 3 Tbsp. cacao powder (not cocoa powder)
• 1 Tbsp. maca
• 3 Tbsp. honey
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
• Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
• Chopped nuts (optional-to garnish)
1. Using a food processor, blend the frozen bananas, Himalayan pink salt, honey, and vanilla extract until soft and smooth.
2. Add in the maca and cacao powder and blend until smooth.
3. Adjust taste/sweetness if necessary and blend until smooth.
4. Garnish and enjoy your creation immediately, or place ice cream into a freezer-safe container and store in the freezer.