Coming from what is considered to be the “tree of life” in many tropical locations coconuts are a mainstay in the diet of many across the globe, and for a good reason. Coconuts are highly nutritious and versatile! This versatile ‘wonder’ oil is known to help with yeast infections, digestion, weight loss, and acts as an immunity booster. Also, coconut oil is known to work wonders as a skin and hair care product. So it should come as no surprise that this oil is growing in popularity around the world.
You may not realize that the tub of coconut oil sitting in your pantry is extremely versatile, as this health food has many uses. Besides being used for cooking, coconut oil can be used as a form of natural medicine, for cleaning, for beauty and so much more.
Want to learn more about the wonders of coconut oil? For your convenience, we broke down the many uses of coconut oil into four categories.
Eating and Cooking
• Do you need a cooking oil that can handle high temperatures? Coconut oil is an excellent, healthy alternative.
• Looking for an all-natural energy boost to start your day? Add a spoonful of coconut oil to your coffee or tea. It’s a great way to kickstart your metabolism in the morning.
• Coconut oil is an excellent replacement for vegetable oils, so if you want to make your baked goods taste even more delicious, swap out the vegetable oil for some coconut oil.
• Want an alternative for butter on your toast or bagel? Spread some coconut oil on instead of butter. It tastes great, especially when you lightly sprinkle some Himalayan pink salt on it!
Beauty and Skin Care
• To help with chapping, use coconut oil as a nipple cream when you are breastfeeding. There’s nothing better than using a safe and natural product when you are a nursing mother.
• Keep your skin moisturized by applying coconut oil daily. An added plus, it is estimated that coconut oil has an SPF of 7!
• Want to get a close shave, and add moisture to your skin simultaneously? Use coconut oil as a shaving lotion.
• Coconut oil is an excellent makeup remover. Just add some to your face or onto a clean cloth or cotton round to wipe your makeup away.
• Using coconut oil in your hair is an excellent way to protect your hair from damage and keep it healthy. Plus, did you know that when applied before or after shampooing it can help reduce hair protein loss?
• Are you having a bad case of static-y hair? Rub a little bit of coconut oil between your hands and run them through your hair.
• Are you dealing with annoying flyaways or frizzy hair? Use some coconut oil sparingly on your flyaways and the frizzy areas of your hair.
• Have you been searching for a natural leave-in overnight conditioner? Rub some coconut oil into your hair, mostly on the ends, and comb through. Place hair in a loose bun and wash your hair in the morning.
• Are you fighting a losing battle to candida albicans, the fungus that’s responsible for yeast infections? Recent studies suggest that coconut oil may help combat candida.
• Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCT), which may help reduce hunger and aid in weight loss.
• Applying a small amount of coconut oil onto a clean wound before covering it with a band-aid can help speed up the healing process.
• If you have arthritis, eating coconut oil can help reduce inflammation and relieve some of the painful symptoms of arthritis.