Assuming you can have a healthy body without a healthy mind is akin to thinking you can fly a plane without going to flight school. The subject of the mind can be confusing because what we know as the mind has been defined by different specialties and disciplines. Some of these disciplines include Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Psychiatry, Neuroscience, and religious authority. It is noteworthy that what the scientists refer to as the mind is thought to be the soul of religious authority.
Every human being has their own personal mind. Consciousness, perception, thinking, reasoning, and memory are thought to pertain to the mind. The mind is intimately related to the brain and the central nervous system. The concept of body-mind comes from the reality that the central nervous system is intimately related to organs of the body such as the heart, lungs and the organs of the digestive system.
The mind-body concept makes the mind inseparable from the body. Injury or health problems related to the body also affect the mind and vice versa. Having a healthy mind is as important as having a healthy body. If you want to have a healthy body or if you have health goals you have jotted down in your notebook, you may need to think of equally investing on your mind as well. Here are a few things you can do to promote a healthy mind:
• Ensure that you get your 30 minutes of aerobic exercise for most days of the week. Exercise increases blood flow to the brain and helps the brain repair itself.
• Ensure that you get your 7-9 hours of sleep. Children require more sleep. Without good quality sleep, do not expect your mind to work as well as it can.
• Read. Ensure that you are reading positive books. Enroll yourself in a class in your local community college if necessary.
• Meditate. Join a meditation group. Yoga meditation has been shown to be good for memory and cognition.
• Invest in healthy nutrition. Seek the advice of registered dietician if necessary. Supplements are part of your nutrition armamentarium.
At the Salerno Center, we are always ready to answer your questions about supplements that will help your mind and body function optimally.
Sign-up for our free bi-monthly newsletter to receive the latest medical news, treatments & recipes to help keep your health on the right track.