Here are 10 Facts about Low Carb, High Fat Diets and Why Reducing Your Carbohydrate Intake is a Good Idea.
- Low carb, high fat (LCHF) diets not only decrease blood pressure, but also decrease triglycerides and improve HDL (good cholesterol) levels.
- “A randomized trial known as the Optimal Macronutrient Intake Trial for Heart Health (OmniHeart). A healthy diet that replaced some carbohydrate with protein or fat did a better job of lowering blood pressure and (Bad) LDL cholesterol than a healthy, higher-carbohydrate diet”.
- Studies have shown that following a LCHF diet was better at maintaining long term weight loss than a low fat, high carbohydrate diet.
- LCHF diets are fantastic for reducing visceral fat especially in the abdominal region.
- LCHF diets reduce the risk of heart disease and type 2 Diabetes. When reducing carbohydrates, you greatly reduce the need to make all that insulin, as a result, insulin and blood sugar are decreased significantly.
- LCHF diets can eliminate the need for some medications.
- LCHF diets have been shown to help with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. In Alzheimer’s, rather than glucose being used for brain fuel, “ketones can be burned more efficiently with fewer waste products, keeping stress off the damaged brain cells”.
In Parkinson’s, studies have shown that ketones can help reduce inflammation and repair neurons. Ketones have the ability to restore and repair neurons by the body simply being in the state of ketosis.
- LCHF diets can reduce the risk of many types of Cancers.
- LCHF diets help control appetite and are more satiating than low fat, high carb diets.
- Many people report increased energy and clearer thinking while on a LCHF diet.
Stafstrom, Carl, and Jong Rho. “NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information).” Encyclopedia of Genetics, Genomics, Proteomics and Informatics (2012): 1325. Frontiers in Pharmacology. Web. 19 Oct. 2015. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/>.