Depending on specific gene sequences, certain mutations can occur which may increase susceptibility to some diseases. The enzyme, methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, is involved in folate metabolism. This cofactor is required for the remethylation of homocysteine, SAM-e, and glutathione, which aids in the formation of important neurotransmitters, the breakdown of vitamin B12 and B6, healthy hormone production, liver detoxification, and genetic regulation.
If the re-conversion of homocysteine into L-methionine is sidestepped, risk factors for arteriosclerotic vascular disease, anemia, venous thrombosis, coronoary heart disease, and cancer increase. Methionine helps with depression, inflammation, and the conversion of estradiol (E2) into estriol (E3). Methionine can be converted into SAM-e (s-adenosylmethionine), which has anti-inflammatory properties, strengthens the immune system, and helps produce serotonin, melatonin, and dopamine.
Even though there are variations of the mutation, all deficiencies in MTHFR can cause disastrous developmental issues, such as autism, dementia, fibromyalgia, chronic migraines, nerve pain, issues with pregnancy, and schizophrenia. According to research, more than half the general population has some type of MTHFR mutation. Even though you can’t swap out a defective gene, you can help the gene work better with the right nutritional intervention, vitamin supplements, and detoxification therapies.
Symptoms of MTHFR
- Central nervous system disorders
- Cardiovascular problems
- Post-partum depression
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Endothelial dysfunction
- Memory loss
- Weakened immune system
- Multiple miscarriages
MTHFR Root Causes
- Genetic variant 677 and 1298, which the numbers refer to their location on the gene.
MTHFR Therapy Testing Techniques
Luckily, with a simple blood test, you can find out if you have the MTHFR mutation. Whether your family has a history or not, individuals can discover if they harbor this common genetic variant, which causes abnormal absorption of folate. Folate is responsible for cell growth, utilization of proteins, and red blood cell maturation. There are over 50 variations, but only a select few are of concern. As the person ages, undiagnosed cases of MTHFR can become much worse, so it is important to get tested early and practice prevention.
Using other forms of functional medicine as our guide, the Salerno Center for Complementary Medicine offers unique, customizable IV therapy vitamins for MTHFR, which include metholated folate, glutathione, and other important nutrients for remethylation. Depending on the treatment plan and personal needs, this broad spectrum IV mixture can be administered once or twice a week for several months at a time for convenient, absorbable, targeted care.
Besides MTHFR testing, other areas of evaluation include metal toxicity, thyroid, vitamin D, adrenals, environmental/food sensitivity panels, organic acids, and viral antibodies.
MTHFR Therapy Diet & Lifestyle Changes
- Eat organic, unrefined food, low sugar foods.
- Avoid all foods that are processed and try to eliminate or reduce consumption of grains products.
- Drink at least 64 oz. of clean water a day. To maintain good health, make sure it is fresh from all impurities. In addition, try squeezing a lemon for digestion, flavor, and alkalizing properties.
- If you are not taking a probiotic, start taking one now. Because an imbalance of gut flora causes digestive disturbances and absorption issues, it makes it difficult to correct any type methylation deficiency.
- If there are no complications with CBS mutation, consider taking methylated forms of vitamins, such as methylfolate, P5P (B6), methylcobalamin (B12), and TMG.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and other illegal drug use.
- Get lots of rest and establish healthy sleeping patterns.
- Eliminate stress through healthy lifestyle choices and activities, such as working out, participating in a favorite hobby, or socializing with friends.
- Since your lymphatic system is responsible for ridding the body of all toxic buildup, it is important to support it by regularly exercising, drinking adequate amounts of clean, fresh water, and eating hormone-free, organic foods.
- In order to get the right fatty acid balance, make sure you are getting enough healthy fats in your diet, such as organic, grass-fed meats, cheeses, fish, and butter. Avoid highly oxidized oils such as trans-fats, soy, canola, and corn oils, which lead to a build-up of inflammation, cellular disruption, and a weakened immune system.
Natural MTHFR Therapies
Nutritional and vitamin supplements are very helpful in combating MTHFR mutaitons. Examples include Salerno Ultra Daily Essentials, Cardio Factor, and Probiotic Factor.
The information on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or healthcare professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you might have a health problem. You should not stop taking any medication without first consulting your physician.