For many, pumpkin is a staple during the holidays, especially around Halloween and Thanksgiving. During the Halloween season, it’s common for children and adults to carve pumpkins into decorative lanterns, and for many, fall brings with it the pumpkin spice craze. There’s no denying pumpkins delicious flavor and many uses, especially when it’s used to make a pie. With pumpkins in season, there’s no better way to enjoy this enjoyable and versatile squash.
It’s officially pumpkin season, and there’s no better way to celebrate than by enjoying a delicious pumpkin pie. However, don’t go for one that’s processed and has a list of ingredients you can’t pronounce. Instead, enjoy a slice of this delightful healthy gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe
• 3 cups raw and unsalted nuts (i.e., walnuts, pecans, almonds)
• 18 soaked and pitted dates
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• ¼ tsp of Himalayan pink salt
For Pumpkin Pie Filling:
• 15 oz. of pumpkin puree
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup of coconut milk (or your choice of alternative milk)
• ½ cup of honey or maple syrup
• 1 ¾ tsp of pumpkin pie spice
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Soak pitted dates in water for an hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
3. Drain dates and place them in a high-speed blender or a food processor. Add in the salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and your choice of nuts. Blend on high until the mixture becomes sticky and starts to lump together in the processor or blender. Add more dates if necessary to make the mixture stickier.
4. In a round pie dish, press crust firmly into an even layer into the pan and corners.
5. Place all of the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling into a high-speed blender or a food processor, and blend until smooth.
6. Pour the pumpkin pie filling over the crust.
7. Bake pie for 45-50 minutes, or until the edges are firm and the pie is set.
8. Remove from oven and let cool for one hour before serving.
9. Store any remainders in the refrigerator.
Sign-up for our free bi-monthly newsletter to receive the latest medical news, treatments & recipes to help keep your health on the right track.